Friday, June 17, 2011

Big Daddy

Let me tell you about Jon....
I have a couple of men in my life that I call Big Daddy.  Jon is one of them.  To qualify for Big Daddy status, you must be exactly that - an amazing dad.  Among Jon's many qualities, he is definitely that.  I feel like he would give his life for not just his own children, but for any child.  My Baby Mama and Big Daddy have been on my mind a lot lately, abandoning me and all.  But yesterday I received a call from the Hartford PD, checking Jon's references.  So of course I thought about Jon a ton yesterday.  At the end of a very humorous phone call, the officer that called asked me if I could think of anything negative about Jon that they might need to know.  That one threw me for a loop.  I sat in silence wracking my brain to think of ANYTHING that might be even remotely negative.  Not that I would have shared with the Hartford PD, but it surprised me that I could think of nothing.  I finally answered with, 'Yeah, the punk moved away.' 
So this brings me to the point of all of this.  There is one very vivid memory of Jon that I've never shared with him.  I know that I never would be able to verbalize it well enough for two reasons. 1.  No words could ever explain the emotion involved in this.  2.  I would break down in a sobbing pile of goo if I tried to say it aloud. (And yes, tears ARE running down my cheeks as I type.)
Shortly after my world blew up in my face, Jon & Jody's baby girl, Dylan, was born.  I was 4 months pregnant with Regan and of course an emotional wreck.  I sat outside the aquarium-like nursery area with Memaw Lynn, watching Jon adore that precious baby right after her birth.  The look on his face, in his eyes, as he gazed upon his daughter was magical.  The way he touched her, then held her, was how one would handle the most fragile of treasures.  I had to turn away from watching him and choke back my sobs on that bench.  I didn't know what God held in store for me, but I prayed then and there that He would provide a true daddy like that for my girls.
I love you, Jon. I appreciate the husband and father that you are for my second family, for the husband and father you were for us during our trial.  Thank you for being the model for what I desired in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment